July, 2014 Board of Directors Meeting

MINUTES OF THE

WESTERLEY HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

BOARD OF DIRECTORS REGULAR MEETING

Thursday, July 24th, 2014

 

 

Board Members and Officers present:

Mr. Anthony DeRobertis         President                                 

Ms. Stephanie Byers              Vice President

Ms. Angela Ojeda                   Treasurer

Mr. Jeff Marsh                        Director                                                                    

 

Committee Members present:

            Ms. Ann Welsh                      Landscape and Grounds Committee

           

Staff members & Service Providers present:

Ms. Patti Picciano                  Community Manager, Horizon Community Services

Mr. Christopher Swemba       Recording Secretary, C&C Securities, LLC

 

 

A.        Call to Order

Mr. DeRobertis called the meeting to order at 7:11 pm.

 

 

B.        Confirmation of Quorum 

Mr. DeRobertis confirmed that the Board had achieved quorum to conduct business of the Association with four (4) out of five (5) Board Members being present.

 

 

C.        Homeowner Forum

Mr. DeRobertis called for any questions, comments or concerns from those homeowners in attendance.

 

Ms. Smith communicated that she believes that many of the residents in the community do not have a good understanding of what is allowed and what is not allowed regarding parking in the community.  She indicated that many residents are not parking their vehicles in their garage, and with many households have multiple vehicles, there is a significant lack of parking.  Additionally, there are residents who do not park within the striped lines and also park on the sidewalk.  Ms. Byers noted that the Board would be discussing the Parking Policy and the methods for enforcement later during the meeting. 

 

Mr. Lang inquired if the Board had sent out a summary of the issues that the Loudoun County Sherriff’s office would address (in regards to parking issues) and what issues the Board would be responsible for addressing.  Mr. DeRobertis believed that a summary had been sent out on the community discussion board.

 

Mr. Trombly inquired if the post light in front of the home should be left on throughout the night.  Ms. Byers recommended that the light be left on throughout the night for improved security.     

Mr. Lang inquired if the Board has looked into amending the bylaws to restrict the number of renters that are allowed in the community.  Mr. DeRobertis noted that he believed a 90% majority vote of the community would be required to amend the governing documents to implement this change.

 

Ms. Byers noted that she had contacted Loudoun County Sherriff’s office regarding the Neighborhood Watch Program.  Ms. Byers noted that there is no one assigned on the Neighborhood Watch to patrol the community.  The idea behind the Neighborhood Watch is for residents to report suspicious activity that is witnessed within the community.

 

Mr. Lang inquired if he could keep the pool open later than the normal operating hours for a birthday party being hosted the weekend of August 9th.  Mr. DeRobertis noted that the Association’s legal counsel would need to draft a waiver releasing the Association of all liability.  Ms. Byers also noted that the Board would also need to determine if a lifeguard would be required to be staffed per Loudoun County regulations.  The Board agreed to discuss drafting a waiver with legal counsel in addition to researching any additional requirements.

 

Mr. Trombly noted that several solicitors have visited his residence during the two months he has lived in the community.  Ms. Byers noted that the Board cannot control solicitors; however a “No Soliciting” sign may be posted.  

 

 

D.        Approval of Meeting Minutes

Mr. DeRobertis submitted the minutes of the May 26th, 2014 Regular Meetingof the Board of Directors for approval. It was:

Mr. DeRobertis MOVED and Ms. Byers SECONDED: That the Board approve the Regular Meeting Minutes of the May 26th, 2014 as amended.

UNAMIOUSLY APPROVED

 

The minutes of the June 26th Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors were not available for review and approval.

 

Ms. Ojeda requested that C&C Securities, LLC submit the meeting minutes no later than two weeks after the meeting takes place.  Mr. Swemba indicated this would not be a problem. 

 

 

E.         Committee Reports

Mr. DeRobertis called for any Committee Reports.

 

Pool Committee

Ms. Ojeda noted that the Pool Committee is supposed to be obtaining a proposal to repair the disconnect box.  Mr. DeRobertis requested that management obtain competitive proposals to repair or replace the disconnect box.

Mr. DeRobertis MOVED and Ms. Byers SECONDED: That the Board approve Premiere to proceed with the repair if under $400.00. 

UNANIMOUSLY DENIED

 

Ms. Ojeda noted that there is a set of pool keys that is missing.  Ms. Byers requested that management look into locating/reproducing another set of keys.

 

Mr. Lang noted that there is an issue with mosquitos at the pool.  Ms. Byers noted that this has been on ongoing issue for years.

 

Landscape and Grounds Committee

Ms. Welsh presented a photo of garbage located in the alley on Southern Oaks.  Ms. Welsh requested that management send notice to HLS communicating that they are not fulfilling their contractual duties as they should be picking up trash located in the common areas of the community.  Ms. Picciano confirmed management would send notice to HLS as requested.

 

Ms. Picciano presented a proposal for turf renovation and enhancement throughout the community. Ms. Ojeda requested that management obtain a second proposal for landscaping services.  All other Board members agreed that a second landscaping company should not be invited to provide a proposal for turf renovation and enhancement services.  The Board tabled the discussion of the turf renovation and enhancement proposal so that the landscape committee could further review the proposal presented. 

 

Ms. Ojeda volunteered to research better ways and alternative vendors to maintain and improve the landscaping throughout the community.   

 

Ms. Byers requested that the Landscape and Grounds Committee look into installing an irrigation system in certain common areas of the community.

 

Treasurers Report

Ms. Ojeda had no report for the Board.

 

 

F.         Old Business

Mr. DeRobertis called for any Old Business to be discussed.

 

Ms. Picciano presented a proposal from PSI Property Services to water blast prep and repaint all the fire lanes at a cost of $4,521.15.  Mr. DeRobertis noted that the Board had approved a proposal from PSI Property Services during the June meeting to media blast the excessive build-up of curb paint and repaint all fire lanes at a cost of $8,539.95.

Mr. DeRobertis MOVED and Ms. Byers SECONDED:  That the Board rescind the approval of the proposal from PSI Property Services to media blast the excessive build-up of curb paint and repaint all fire lanes at a cost of $8,539.95.

            UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED

 

The Board tabled the discussion of the proposal from PSI Property Services to water blast prep and repaint all the fire lanes at a cost of $4,521.15

 

The Board reviewed the current Parking Policy and discussed having legal counsel drafting the new parking policy.  The Board agreed the new policy should address the following:

  • Compliance with the Code of Virginia and Loudoun County Code (if required)
  • Commercial vehicles parking in the community
  • Vehicles parked over the white lines
  • Vehicles parked in the driveway but over the sidewalk
  • Pool parking lot rules
  • Storing vehicles in the common areas for an extended period of time

 

Ms. Byers MOVED and Mr. DeRobertis SECONDED:  That the Board engage Mercer Trigiani to draft a new Parking Policy.

UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED

 

Mr. DeRobertis inquired if the Board should consider having legal counsel looking into assigned parking or the use of parking decals and drafting a policy.  The Board decided not to proceed with researching this option.

 

 

G.        Management Report

Mr. DeRobertis called for the Management Report by Horizon Community Services.

 

Ms. Picciano noted that all business included in the Management Report had been discussed in Conducting Business

 

 

H.        Executive Session

 

Mr. DeRobertis MOVED and Ms. Byers SECONDED: That the Board recess into Executive Session.

UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED

                        

There Board recessed into Executive Session at 8:52 pm.

 

The Board discussed attorney/client privileged communications and collection matters in Executive Session.

 

 

I.          Reconvene to Regular Session

 

Ms. Byers MOVED and Mr. DeRobertis SECONDED: That the Board reconvene into Regular Session.

UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED

 

The Board reconvened into Regular Session at 8:59 pm.

 

Ms. Byers MOVED and Mr. DeRobertis SECONDED: That the Board approve Mr. Marsh to spend $100.00 to produce magnets with the Association’s general contact information.

UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED

 

 

J.         Close of Business

There being no further business to come before the Board in Regular Meeting, it was:

Ms. Byers MOVED and Mr. DeRobertis Seconded:  That the July 24th, 2014, Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors be adjourned. 

            UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED

 

Meeting was adjourned at 9:00 pm.         

 

Minutes respectfully submitted by: 

Christopher J. Swemba