August, 2016 Board of Directors Meeting

MINUTES OF THE

WESTERLEY HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING

21326 Augusta Drive

Sterling, VA 20164

August 25, 2016

                                               

Board Members Present:     Anthony DeRobertis   President        

                                            Jeff Marsh                 Vice President

                                            Angela Ojeda             Treasurer

                                                                                               

Board Members Absent:      Stephanie Byers          Secretary

                       

Others Present:                     Anne Welsh                Grounds Committee

                                                Joe Barrows                Sentry Management

                                                Karen Case                  Recording Secretary

 

I.         Call to Order:  Mr. DeRobertis called the meeting to order at 7:01 p.m.

 

II.        Homeowner Forum:

No comments from homeowners.

 

III.      Approval of Agenda:

 

MOTION:  Mr. DeRobertis moved to approve the agenda as amended.  Motion carried without objection.

 

IV.      Board Officers’ Reports: 

 

President:  Street boring and asphalt trail work starts Monday.

 

Vice President:  No report given.

 

Treasurer:  Ms. Ojeda is in the process of getting her account set up on the Sentry website.  Mr. Barrows provided the chart of accounts as previously requested.  Ms. Ojeda discussed problems with the format and appearance of the financial report.  The left side of the most recent report was cut off when scanned.  She noted the check inventory is not legible.  It was noted this document is generated as part of the bank statement and Management cannot change it.

Mr. Barrows reached out to New York Life but they will only communicate with a signer on the account.  Ms. Ojeda will contact New York Life.

Regarding the Westerley digital records, Ms. Ojeda indicated the next step is verification of hard copy and digital formats.  Mr. Barrows noted that, by law, the records have to remain on-site at the Management office while the verification is done.

 

Secretary:  No report given.

 

V.        Approval of Minutes: 

 

MOTION:  Mr. DeRobertis moved to approve the July 28, 2016 Board meeting minutes as submitted.  Motion carried without objection.

 

VI.      Committee Reports:

 

Grounds – Mr. Barrows gave an update on communication with Advantage.  Advantage Owner/Danny related they do not want to drop the contract; they want to remain a vendor and make the community happy.  Photos of damaged/problem areas have been shared with Danny.  There will be no charge for the bad pruning work.  Danny would like the Board to give Yimis another chance and he offered to personally oversee Yimis on this.  Ms. Welsh gave an update on her recent communication with Yimis which has been good.  She agreed to communicate with Yimis regularly and hold him accountable.  Advantage has offered to make things up to the community.  There was discussion about getting this in writing.  Yimis mentioned removing one dead common area tree per visit.

Discussion about doing the second full inspection – Ms. Welsh is willing to accompany Management on the inspection.

Discussion about tree removal – Ms. Welsh suggested completing a chunk of the tree removals this fall, spending about $4,000 of the amount that HLS previously quoted.  Ms. Welsh will assist with making a list of dead trees in the community.  Letters will be sent to homeowners with dead trees on private property.

Ms. Welsh recommended a grounds maintenance project moving existing extraneous bushes from a fence line to another common area. Mr. Barrows will confirm with Advantage about doing this at no cost.

Mr. DeRobertis suggested giving the Grounds Committee a budget in the future and the details about non-contract landscaping could be decided during the Grounds Committee meetings.

Ms. Welsh would like to order the bulbs for next spring.  Need to review the contract to check on what is already included.  Ms. Welsh will inform Yimis about the quality of flowers desired.  Ms. Welsh will provide the number of pansies that were usually installed in the past.

 

Ms. Ojeda reported on incomplete grounds items.  Backwater fence is still not cleaned up from the cleanup contract.  Regarding maintenance, one side of Tamarack Ridge is not complete.  Advantage is not doing the maintenance and pruning behind the townhouses.  Private owner cut down his tree that was encroaching/leaning on the fence, and then threw the tree onto common property.  Management will ask Advantage to take away the tree and check on Sentry maintenance to reattach the fence.  Fence and common area on Antioch looks very good.  Pruning along the street is needed on Hollow Mountain.  Ms. Ojeda will send addresses of privately owned trees needing pruning to Mr. Barrows to send a violation letter.

 

Ms. Welsh left the meeting.

 

Parking – Mr. Marsh reported parking enforcement efforts appear to be working.

 

Tot Lot – Mr. Marsh reported new swing chains were installed.

 

Pool – Ms. Ojeda reached out to Mr. Mehta to receive the most recent copy of the pool documents.  Recently a resident reported individuals were wearing street clothes in the pool.  Board discussed this.  Ms. Ojeda will check the Loudoun County rules on this.

Ms. Ojeda found the waterline tiles but four boxes of the other tiles could not be found.  Mr. Barrows will follow up with the vendor to find out if they removed them.

There is a water leak in the shower wall of the men’s room.  Management will follow up on this.

Need to update the pool access system – we have to have a way to delete old members, individuals who have moved out of the community.

 

VII.     Management Update/Old Business:

 

Chains on Tot Lot Swings – Complete.

 

Bio Green – Scheduled to start August 29th.

 

Trail Paving – Scheduled to start August 29th.

 

Ms. Ojeda wants to get a quote for grounds lighting.  She will send the scope of work to Mr. Barrows to get quotes.

 

VIII.   New Business:

           

Tax Returns – Mr. DeRobertis signed the tax returns.

 

Executive Session:

 

Board agreed by consensus to move into executive session at 8:29 p.m. to discuss an owner account.

 

Board agreed by consensus to move out of executive session and reconvene the general session at 8:44 p.m.

 

Insurance Renewal – Board discussed the quote.

 

MOTION:  Mr. DeRobertis moved, Ms. Ojeda seconded, to approve the insurance renewal at a cost of $5,278 to be paid in one installment.  Motion carried without objection.

 

Pool Winterization – Board discussed the quote.

 

MOTION:  Mr. DeRobertis moved, Mr. Marsh seconded, to approve the Premier Aquatics winterization proposal with all options except the motor pull and Management will obtain an updated price.  Motion carried without objection.

 

Fence on Tamarack Ridge – Fence has been repeatedly damaged by vehicles/snow plows.  Board discussed possible solutions.  To start, Board will install reflectors on the fence pole to make it more visible.

 

IX.      Executive Session & Adjournment:

 

Board agreed by consensus to move into executive session at 8:55 p.m. to discuss legal matters.

 

 

Board agreed by consensus to close the executive session and adjourn the Board meeting at 9:03 p.m.