June, 2017 Board of Directors Meeting (second)

MINUTES OF THE

WESTERLEY HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING

21030 Whitfield Place

Sterling, VA 20165

June 5, 2017

                                               

Board Members Present:     Anthony DeRobertis               President

                                            Jeff Marsh                             Vice President

                                            Angela Ojeda                         Treasurer

                                            Kelly Whitaker                        Secretary

                                                                                               

Board Members Absent:      Champion Chigwedu              Director

                       

Others Present:                     Joe Barrows                            Sentry Management

                                             Karen Case                              Recording Secretary

                                               

I.         Call to Order:  Mr. DeRobertis called the meeting to order at 7:06 p.m.

 

II.        Resident Forum:

Resident volunteered to help with reviewing contracts at the Board’s request.  This led to a general discussion about committee members reviewing contracts as an auxiliary of the Board.

 

III.      Approval of Agenda:

 

MOTION:  Mr. DeRobertis moved to approve the agenda as amended.  Motion carried without objection.

 

Change Board Meeting Day:  Board discussed changing the monthly meeting day.

 

MOTION:  Mr. DeRobertis moved to change the regular Board meeting day to the second Monday of the month unless it is a holiday.  Motion carried without objection.

r

 

IV.      Management Update:

-       Management updated the Board profile on CommunityPro website.  Corporate will call new Board members to provide training on how to use CommunityPro.

-       Notification letters regarding the small delinquencies are being prepared for mailing.

 

V.        Board Officers’ Reports: 

President:  No report.

Vice President:  No report.

Treasurer’s Report:  No report.

Secretary:  No report.

                                                                                                                                    

VI.      Approval of Minutes: 

There were no minutes to approve.

 

VII.     Committee Reports:

Grounds – Ms. Ojeda indicated she wants to schedule Advantage to attend a Board meeting.  There was a general discussion about Advantage’s performance and issues such as inconsistency.  Grounds committee will email comments and concerns to Management to compile and provide to Advantage prior to the meeting.  Management will invite Advantage to the August meeting.  On a related note, Management reached out to Advantage requesting them to blow grass clippings away from private yards.  Resident suggested bagging the clippings be included in the contract.

Parking – Mr. Marsh reported it’s possible that Ms. Byers might volunteer for the parking committee.  The next project to tackle is the pool parking lot during pool hours.  Committee needs to explore how many vehicles are parking there and not using the pool.

Tot Lot – Ms. Byers and Mr. Marsh plan to power wash the tot lot on Sunday, June 11th around 11:30 a.m.  Additional volunteers are welcome.

Pool – Ms. Ojeda reported there are a number of new residents and they have been requesting pool passes.  They are being directed to email the committee to set up pool pass dates.  A resident requested assistance with getting her pool passes.  There was general discussion about past problems of vandalism to vehicles at the pool parking lot.  The resident reported she has seen increased police presence in the community recently.  Ms. Ojeda reported the next pool pass registrations are scheduled for June 12th 6:30-7:00 p.m. and June 17th at 10:00-10:30 a.m.  The lifeguard timing of breaks needs to be monitored.  Management will contact the pool company to clarify the break time.  Resident asked about reasonable accommodation policy with regards to special needs children’s use of the kiddie pool and there was a general discussion about this.  Mr. Marsh will be editing the pool rules for grammar during the summer.  There was discussion about pooling water on the sidewalk near the front sign due to a dip in the sidewalk.

 

VIII.   Old Business:

           

Reserve Study Proposals:  Board reviewed and discussed three reserve study proposals.  Several questions about terms and conditions came up such as ownership of/access to the final product, what-if scenarios, formulas, limitations on sharing information and other terms and conditions.  Board directed Management to request additional sample reports from the vendors.  Management will also send suggested revision to the vendors indicating that any disputes be resolved in the local jurisdiction.  The Board divided up the references to complete reference checks.  The Board devised a list of questions to ask each reference.  Mr. DeRobertis will email the question list to the Board.

 

IX.      New Business:

           

Change Board Meeting Day:  Discussed earlier in the meeting.

 

Ms. Ojeda indicated she would like the Board to discuss the architectural guidelines at the next meeting.  This led to a general discussion about how to move forward to complete a proactive review and update of the design guidelines.  Items such as deck materials, paint colors, fence stain and concrete pavers need to be reviewed and updated.  Mr. DeRobertis will research which committee has the responsibility for this project.  Two residents present at the meeting volunteered to help on committees.

 

Ms. Ojeda suggested discussion at the next meeting regarding reducing the voting threshold for changes to the governing documents.  Management will request a threshold recommendation and a draft amendment from legal counsel.

 

Next Board Meeting:  July 10, 2017 at 7:00 p.m. at Cascades Library.

 

X.        Adjournment:

 

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} There being no further business to discuss, the Board meeting was adjourned at 9:00 p.m.